Skip Navigation

Documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view. Download Adobe© Acrobat Reader.

Assisting Victims of Identity Theft

File a police report immediately in the jurisdiction where it was stolen. This proves to credit providers you were diligent and is a first step toward an investigation, in the event an investigation is warranted.

File your complaint with the Federal Trade Commission by visiting or by calling 1-877-ID-THEFT (1-877-438-4338). The FTC maintains a secure database of identity theft cases used by law enforcement agencies for investigations.

Call the three national credit reporting organizations immediately to place a fraud alert/victim’s statement on your name and Social Security number. The alert means any company that checks your credit knows your information was stolen and they have to contact you by phone to authorize new credit. An Initial Alert last for 90 days; an Extended Alert is for seven years (prescreened solicitation for 5 years) when an identity theft report is submitted; Active Duty Alert is for 12 months, and can be extended, (prescreened for 2 years) if notified of active military duty.

The phone numbers to call are:
1. Equifax: 1-800-525-6285
2. Experian (formerly TRW): 1-888-397-3742
3. Trans Union: 1-800-680-7289
4. Social Security Administration (fraud line): 1-800-269-0271

Credit bureaus must provide a free credit report if the customer believes the report is
inaccurate due to fraud. A free annual report is available from each of the agencies by:
1. Ordering from
2. Call 1-877-322-8228
3. Mail Annual Credit Report Request Form to:
    Annual Credit Report Request Service P.O. Box 105281 Atlanta, GA 30348-5281

Annual Credit Report Request Form

Contact the Department of Labor
Kansas City: 913-596-3500   Topeka: 785-575-1460
Wichita: 316-383-9947   Toll-Free: 800-292-6333

Access a PDF of this information HERE.